Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Flying Wienie



This past Monday our architect, Tom Smith, was here. He came with master plan version #5 for us to examine. We took Tom to one of my favorite lunch spots. You guessed it, the Flying Wienie. I don't think Tom really believed a restaurant would have a yellow airplane on the roof, much less be named after a hot dog. By the way, we didn't take Tom there for the great architecture or to give him ideas for our new church facility. Tom got a gyro and fries. I got my usual "double play." Kim got Italian beef and John got ribs. And you thought they only had hot dogs! As usual, it was an enjoyable experience.

When the temperature is warm it is nice to sit outside and give someone the “full Cedar Rapids experience.” You know, the sound of trucks and trains, the smells of Quaker Oats, Cargil and Penford, and the sight of the river – almost! However, it was a little chilly for that. So, we settled on eating inside.

So, why did we take Tom to the Flying Wienie? The obvious would be the good food. However, I think the reason I like this haven for Chicago dog lovers so much is because it is unpretentious. It is a “What you see is what you get” type of place. Some would call it a “dive.” Others wouldn’t be so nice. There is nothing fancy only airplane paraphernalia. It is what it is.

If only we could be the same – authentic. The Apostle Paul put it this way, “But by the grace of God I am what I am.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it was only a matter of time before The Flying Wienie was mentioned on your blog! I am looking forward to more of your posts. Actually, the best Texas BBQ I've tasted was at Bubba's in Ennis.

See you in church.
Deacon Dave

Tye Male said...

Make sure you make it up to BBQ This! I love the chopped beef, corn bread, and chips.